Saturday 19 July 2014

Bike The Lake Day 8 - Welland to Waterloo

Day 8 had arrived and it was the last day of our tour around Lake Ontario. Hard to believe it was almost over, but both Koichi and I were looking forward to getting home.

The day started out cool and over cast and by the time we finished our amazing breakfast at my father in laws Bed and Breakfast it had started to rain.  We got a pretty late start but finally we were on the road and heading for home.

The rain was pretty steady for the first hour and we got wet quickly, especially my feet.  We were lucky though and actually had a South East tail wind!

The road out of Welland was nice and followed the river,  but it was hard to see anything with the rain. After a couple hours it had finally stopped raining and we pressed on for lunch In Caledonia.

We had to detour South for lunch to our usual Subway, and of course it started raining hard again as we got there.  We also had to take Highway 6 south for a few km's and that was not fun in the rain with all the heavy traffic.  Made me miss the wide shoulder of the roads in new York!  After lunch, it had stopped raining and we headed out again for home. We still had a long way to go so we took advantage of the tail wind and tried to make good time.

Most of the afternoon was pretty uneventful as we plotted on.  A bit outside Cambridge, the skies turned dark again and sure enough it started raining, this time pretty hard. If we were dry before, it didn't take long to get soaked once more.

We continued on and eventually made it to our home town Waterloo and then finally to my riding partner, Kochi's house.   We were both really excited to have made it home, after such a long day riding in the crappy weather. Of course we celebrated with a beer and couldn't really believe our trip was over.

The trip was really amazing with lots of memories and good times. I've mentioned it before, but I was so impressed by the help we received from people on the trip and the kindness of those in the cycling community. I loved it.

I also need to say thanks to my wife, Marissa who not only encouraged me to go on this trip but then had to take care of our little boy Jack all by herself.

So all said and done today came in at 160 km, which is not only my longest ride ever but also my first real Century ride (100 miles).

The total for our around the Lake trip was about 1044 km.  Can't wait for my next trip, but now sure when that'll be!

No comments:

Post a Comment